Congratulations! You’ve found the perfect Rhode Island neighborhood, set your budget, and decided that you’re ready to buy a home. The most important first step in your home buying journey is choosing the right RI Realtor® for you.
In today’s red hot real estate market, you need to be able to move quickly. Homes are flying off the market fast, with many receiving multiple offers and over half selling above the asking price. This is on top of the already complicated process, navigating the paperwork, negotiations, and huge amounts of money involved. That’s why most home buyers and sellers work with a real estate agent.
According to a National Association of Realtors report, 88% of buyers recently purchased their home through a real estate agent or broker, and for a good reason. Your RI Realtor® will be your guide helping you to find your perfect home and lead you through the home buying process right up until you sit at the closing table. They will walk you through everything you need to know and provide resources you can’t find anywhere else.
Realtors are essential advocates throughout the home buying process. They help you find the perfect house, act as a liaison for the different parties you’ll interact with, and go to bat for you throughout the transaction process. Without that added support, you could miss out on the right home, get slowed down by paperwork, or even make the transaction more costly.
But, finding the right agent for you can be difficult, so you must choose carefully. To get stellar results, you can’t just randomly choose an agent. An experienced agent can help you identify the little things you need to do to make the best possible offer or get the best deal when selling a home.
Working with the right real estate agent can help your home buying or selling experience go smoothly. Before you sign on with a real estate agent, here are five tips to make your search for the perfect real estate agent easier. These tips apply regardless of where you’re purchasing a home, but in a small state like ours, where it seems that everyone knows each other, they take on added importance.
- Be Prepared – As a buyer, get preapproved for a mortgage (not just pre-qualified). Knowing how much house you can afford lets you talk with agents who have experience with properties in your price range. Understanding what segment of your local real estate market, such as a starter home or an investment property, can also help you choose an agent.
- Ask Friends and Family for Recommendations – A good place to start your search is with your existing network. Family, friends, and colleagues who recently bought or sold a home can be great sources for real estate agent referrals.
- Find a RI Realtor® Who is Active in Your Area – When looking for your Realtor®, you’ll want someone who knows the nuances of the local market where you’re buying or selling. Considering surrounding states? Make sure your agent can take you there.
- Find a RI Realtor® Who Meets Your Needs and Fits Your Personality – Buying or selling a home can be stressful, so it’s important to trust your Realtor® and feel that you can rely on them. Be clear with your expectations and make sure that your Realtor® is comfortable meeting them. Some things to find out are the hours they’re available for showings and answering questions, how they prefer to communicate, and if you’ll be working with them directly or mostly with a staff member.
- Know What You’re Giving and Getting – Once you’ve found the Realtor® you want to work with, you’ll typically need to write that commitment. The costs of marketing a home come out of the agent’s pocket/brokerage fee, so when you’re negotiating the fee, be sure you understand what you’re paying and what you’re getting.
Now that we’ve reviewed some of the key factors in choosing the right real estate agent, we hope you’ll look at us to be your RI Realtor®. Spectrum Real Estate Consultants is the top producing team of Realtors at Keller Williams Realty Leading Edge. Our mission is to provide our clients with world-class service while simplifying the Real Estate transaction. Our team members serve their local communities.
Like our valued clients, we own, renovate and manage properties throughout these markets, allowing us to truly understand the process, challenges, and benefits of real estate ownership. Our knowledge and professional experience allow us to identify opportunities and prevent unnecessary setbacks, saving you time, money, and frustration.
If you’re ready to buy or sell a home, we would love to connect with you and be the right RI Realtor® team for you. Click here to book a free consultation on buying or selling a home.